Safer Workplace for Bangsamoro Women: Anti-Sexual Harassment Act Forum
In line with the celebration of the 18-day campaign to end violence Against Women, employees from the Bangsamoro Ministry of Public Works (MPW-BARMM) partake in the Anti-Sexual Harrassment Act Forum conducted by the Regional human Rights Commission (RHRC) last Wednesday, December 4, 2019 at the Glamour Resto, Cotabato City.
Participated by Nor-enn Sungan and Sittie Malicah, the Forum aims to provide a platform to raise awareness on the rights of the Bangsamoro Women for a safer working environment. Part of the forum includes discussing inappropriate acts and its corresponding penalties and punishment based on the gravity of offense. Once proven guilty, the sexual offenders may face a fine of Php 10,000 – Php 20,000 and an imprisonment of 1-6 months.
Forms of Sexual Harrassment
• Physical (Malicious touching/acts of lasciviousness/lewdness)
• Gestures (hand and body gestures with lewd Insinuation, staring and leering)
• Verbal (Lurid Remarks, telling offensive jokes, interrogating private life)
• Requests or demands for sexual favors, Repeatedly asking for dates despite verbal rejection
• Use of Objects, Pictures/Graphics, Letters or Written Notes with Sexual Underpinnings
Under Moral Governance, MPW-BARMM supports the BARMM government in ensuring that the Bangsamoro Women are protected and valued.